If you are considering a custom or made to order ring you'll have to know your ring size at some point. It is important to keep in mind that your ring size might fluctuate a bit based on the temperature outside and a few other factors. Fingers can change a whole ring size from winter to summer. Resizing rings can be tricky and puts the gemstone at risk of fracturing, so it is best to order the correct size from the beginning. Below are a few tips for how to get the proper ring size.
- MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH ME!
Stop by my studio sometime and I can size your fingers myself. This is the best option if you are local and want a custom piece made by me. Ring sizers can fluctuate from jeweler to jeweler so it is always preferred to have you sized by the person making your special piece of jewelry. Sizing a finger is super quick, and will take less than 5 minutes. Plus you can peruse the stones I have in the shop while you're here! You can e-mail me at Madmademetals@gmail.com to make an appointment.
- STOP BY YOUR LOCAL JEWELER
Not local? That's okay, ring sizing is a service that most jewelers offer for free. Stop by your local jewelry shop and ask to have your finger sized. Be sure to write it down so you don't forget!
- SEND ME A RING THAT FITS
If you aren't local or don't have time to stop by the shop, you can always mail me a ring that fits and I can get the size from this ring. Be sure that the ring you are sending fits the finger that you want to have sized. Each finger is a different size, so what fits one finger on one hand, may not fit the same finger on another hand.
- PURCHASE A RING SIZER ONLINE
I now sell inexpensive ring sizers that you can purchase directly from me here. This inexpensive ring sizer is easy to use and gives you an accurate size. I currently sell it for $4 in my shop, and shipping is free in the US. If you are ordering it in addition to some other pieces of jewelry, just let me know you'd like it sooner and I can drop it in the mail to you ASAP.
A FEW TIPS
- Fingers are typically bigger in the summer (hot) and smaller in the winter (cold).
- Fingers swell when you sleep and are bigger in the morning.
- The wider the band of the ring, the snugger the fit. A general rule is to size up about 1/4-1/2 size for wide band rings, depending on the width.
- Rings can be sized to a 1/4 of a size, so if you are between a full and half size, you may be a quarter size.
- Some rings can be more easily sized up by slightly stretching the band. Sizing a ring down is trickier and more time consuming. Err on the tight side if you are between sizes.